Sunday 8 January 2012

(Straight) Dating protocol.

As I immerse myself back in the world of 'dating', I have come across an issue that troubles me: the dating protocol.

In more ways than one, straight people have it pretty simple, they follow a clear (granted, cheuvanistic) plan: boy asks girl out, they dress up, go somewhere for dinner, the boy pays, maybe kiss goodnight and the boy is supposed to call her back. Also, the mere fact that they have gone out implies that they like each other, at least a little bit.

I have found, however, that between two men it's not as clear. It is not necessarily implied that they like each other and the intentions either of them may have can be misunderstood.

More than once I have found myself on a date but not sure whether it actually is one - I mean, going out with a guy but doubtful about the other guy's intentions. The funny thing is that, more often than not, a bit after the 'date' the other guy says something like 'I had a great time' or 'you're really cute' which kind of quells my fears.

Still, the whole 'who calls whom' and 'how soon' still vex me.

Even more, in Mexico some people tend to think that after going out once or twice you automatically become 'boyfriends' and, therefore, exclusive. While I think that the idea of 'going out' with someone doesn't necessarily mean you will not meet other people in the process...

What I'm trying to say is, while sticking to the traditional dating protocol may work to a point, I believe there are situations dictated by sexual-role-related issues which cannot be overseen or simply taken for granted. It would be really interesting (or perhaps it will even be real soon) to see how the new TV shows, movies or stories in general handle the issue of gay dating. Though, most likely, it will just be a sorry adaptation of the 'straight' protocol.

No comments:

Post a Comment