Sunday 16 January 2011

Gay Activism in Mexico - Why I think it doesn't work.

Ah, we are well in 2011 already! Time went by quite quickly and I took a break from everything but eating all I could... Including updating the blog! But here I am again, ready to post my point of view about the bear community in Mexico -- or rather, about the gay community in general.
Last semester I was involved in trying to start a diversity-related group at the University I attend to... However, it never really took off and we ended up not doing anything in the end. Later, somebody asked me why, if I am so interested in gender equality and the gay community, I am not involved with gay activism in the city? And my answer was pretty simple: I don't really think it works. 
Part of the study I carried out last year about the sense of belonging in the gay bear community proved that quite clearly: One of the items in the questionnaire was whether they felt there is a sense of 'community' among the gay people in the city -most people answered no, but they wish there was-; however, when asked if they were part of any movement or group they also gave a negative answer. I find this quite contradictory, if we want this feeling of community to exist, why aren't we doing something about it? I'm sure there are plenty of excuses like "I have too much work" or "I don't know of any"... But how valid are they?
I have always complained about my idea that the issue with the Mexican mindset is that we tend to wait for 'someone else' to do something - most Mexicans are not really proactive. I, of course, am included in that group.
So, I started considering what I could do about it; I remembered the many places I've been to trying to get involved in movements, but I have usually found that the objectives and/or plans are lacking or, rather, empty. I don't think I have found any place where people really gather to become a group with strong bonds capable of doing something to help the community.
A few months ago, some friends and I were discussing this issue and many ideas came up, including organising lectures (most of us being academic) and discussion groups to raise awareness about current issues... I proposed we needed to strengthen the bonds between us before starting a task like that...
In the past, I have seen that very good projects have failed because the members of the group aren't really working together towards the same goal - everybody seems to be trying to take advantage of their teammates in order to reach a different, personal goal; also, when problems arise between members (which most likely will, considering we are talking about people who spend a lot of time together), they are not managed properly and end up destroying the group from the inside. 
In my opinion, I think the group we were trying to start at the University imploded for that reason; although we didin't really have any conflicts among us, we seemed to all be looking for something different and could not come to a compromise.
I am not a very sociable person and usually keep to myself, which means I don't interact with that many people. I think this year I will try to expand my social circle in hopes of starting something that can make a difference, if not for the entire gay community in my city, at least for those involved in it. 
Do you know or are you involved in any movement or group which helps the members of the gay community have this feeling of  'belonging'? 

3 comments:

  1. I am a norte Americano in Baja who has tried to assist organizing he gay community and I share your concern. Being a gringo, I find that my "organization" helps serve the gay tourist and gay foreign residents in Mexico, but it is frustrating getting our Mexican friends involved. The motto of my website is "Building a community... celebrating a lifestyle," but it is 80% gringo community. A friend tried to organize bear events in Tijuana, but I notice he has not done much for the past 18 months.

    The HIV/VIH community is more active, but perhaps out of self interest.

    Older Mexican gays tend to socialize privately, still concerned with privacy issues. Even those who are "out" are still private.

    I will continue to encourage the responsible gay tourist, and gay foreign residents looking for a second or retirement home. We enjoy Mexico and it's culture and hope we are presenting a positive influence as out, gay role-models, but our role is secondary because we must respect our "visitor" status.

    Those of us who can be out role-models and mentors need to do so because there are still young people in danger from anti-gay discrimination. Images and stereo-types are hard to break down, but continue we must.

    Hopefully we can network and continue to "build our communities, and celebrate our lifestyle." I invite anyone to support Arael in Mexico City, and if interested post information for the benefit of our community at my groups:
    www.BajaGay.com
    http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/MexicoGay-BajaGay/

    All are welcome, and perhaps together we can be successful and help others.

    Kenito
    Kenito@BajaGay.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I am glad to know it is not just my sometimes pessimistic point of view on our community in Mexico... And I am even happier that there are people trying to do something to change it! I will check your group and website; and, as you said, I hope with these tools we can keep working on improving our community!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and? What happened? I just read your post (yes, Almonte 4 years late) and I'm curious about it.

    ReplyDelete