Wednesday 20 March 2013

Tough love

'What you do every day matters more than what you do every once in a while'. I read this quote somewhere and it made me think of my first 'serious' relationship. 

I was 18 and my boyfriend was 33 years old (yeah, not that uncommon in the gay world), and if there was one thing that was always present in our relationship, it was my constant feeling of sadness. I remember coming home feeling like crap after our 'dates', or just feeling plain scared to express my opinions. The worst thing, probably, is that he didn't hit me or call me names! Why is that the worst thing, you ask? Well, because I could not make out what it was that made me feel so bad! 

When people asked me about my relationship, I usually talked about the more obvious, 'good' things. "Ah, we went out for dinner", "we watched a movie at his place", "he got me a rose, isn't that romantic?". The problem was, though, that these gestures, while very real, happened mostly after we had a serious fight. I never talked about the things we did every day. Looking back, now I think I can understand what made that relationship so unpleasant.

He sometimes ignored my calls on purpose, knowing it drove me crazy and even admitting to doing so ("sometimes I don't want to talk to you"); and he constantly criticized my behavior in a hurtful, demeaning way ("you don't eat eggs? Of course, your mother spoiled you too much. Maybe one day you'll grow up").

My point is, those things were like little drops of water falling constantly on the same spot. One little drop will do little to no harm, but if continued indefinitely, it won't take too long before it starts leaving a mark.

Very often, our society teaches us that aggression or violence is an acceptable substitute for vulnerability and intimacy, two concepts which are rarely discussed or promoted. In a way, it's a shame that our society not only accepts this kind of violence, but even encourages it. Have you ever met a couple who give each other demeaning or insulting nicknames in a 'playful' way? Couples who are rude or offensive to each other because 'they know they're just playing'? And if the offended party says anything there comes the answer "oh, come on, don't be so sensitive", which transfers the fault to them and the aggressor comes off as being 'carefree and playful'.

The core of this, I believe, is that people who are not used to feeling vulnerable will immediately lash out in order to hide their fear. People who get angry at the 'idiot who cut in front of them' and yell at their kids, simply because they are the nearest available target. Mind you, it's not like they think "oh, I need someone to bully now, since I cannot take revenge on my aggressor", it is just something they have been doing for such a long time that it has become a reflex.

A relationship is built every day and every moment that the people involved are interacting. Think of it as bricks building a wall. Perhaps every so often you would put a nice decoration on the wall, something shiny and impressive; and while they should be enjoyed and cherished, they in no way substitute the basis of what you're building. If all the bricks on your house are cracked, soon not even the fanciest decorations will make your house be worth living in.

As an example, instead of being sarcastic, try to give someone an actual compliment every day. You will see how great you feel and how quickly you stop feeling 'silly' by doing it.

3 comments:

  1. I think nagging is similar to this idea.
    nag
    [ nag ]

    ask somebody repeatedly: to ask or urge somebody persistently and annoyingly to do something
    keep criticizing somebody: to find fault with somebody regularly and repeatedly
    be persistently painful or bothersome: to be a persistent cause of discomfort, anxiety, or unease

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Day all...
    Fantastic and great Article, James.. I know and am familiar of what you speak having experienced it and know of friends who have as well. I have learned as time passes to move on and also learn from my mistakes.

    AND I also have grown in respecting myself enough to not put up with such BS... It takes time as I am a natural nurturer and give care and relate to people in support. I am also quite empathic and at times hyper sensitive.

    -- Regardless I find as time passes I get stronger in my personality and convictions... Manners and courtesy matter BIG with me.. as does genuine character, personality and great attitudes. I am no longer buying into the "good guys finish last"... I am creating the reality that Good Guys ALWAYS take the cake..

    Thank you again.
    With much TLC - warm fuzzy bear hugs.
    Satori..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said James. I have an ex boyfriend coming to stay for a week at the beginning of May. His sarcasm and inability to honestly communicate were two of the biggest reasons I broke up with him. While I am looking forward to his visit since it is very important to be with people who knew me before I moved back to Grand Junction, I'm not looking forward to the sniping comments. While I have changed and grown he seems to have stayed steadfastly in the past. It is tricky to diffuse those sarcastic comments. There is a lot of weird negativity holding them together.

    ReplyDelete