Thursday 21 March 2013

Stranded - Ending


III

            When I woke up, I was floating on the surface, next to my little boat. Had I dreamt the episode with the whales? I swam towards the starboard, very much feeling the pain reassuring me I had indeed played with whales all night. I’m guessing the so-called shark was just a smaller whale, starting the game of dodge-human.

            I climbed into my little vessel and let myself lie sprawled on the deck. Allowing the sun to bathe me in its warm light, imagining it whispering ‘it’s okay, it’s over now’.

            After a few minutes I got up and gladly found my banner-fish still there. I called it that because it was long and kind of wide, reminding me of those banners carried by planes with messages for people, or advertisements for some companies. I took my diving gear off and regarded the bruises with a mixed sense of accomplishment and relief.

            I survived. Again.

            I put my clothes on, as usual, and sat leaning against the rim of the boat. You would think that by this point I would just stay naked all the time, but old habits die hard. I drank some of the water I had collected the night before (or was it to nights ago?). The sound of the waves splashing against the boat were still quite soothing for me; regardless of this experience, the ocean still held its magic and control over me in that way.

            It took me a while to realize that I was staring at a piece of land in the horizon right in front of me. At first, I didn’t even pay attention to it, I just stared in a kind of haze, daydreaming. Then, it was like having a conversation with my brain.

            “Hey, that wasn’t there before, was it?”, my brain stated lazily.

            “I dunno. You’re the one who should know, I’m just here for the ride”, I said out loud, smiling at the silliness of it all.

            “Well, that was definitely not there before.”, my brain remarked.

            “Congratulations on your discovery then,” I said as I raised my bag of water, “what are you going to do with it?”

            And that thought brought me to a sudden halt. What was I going to do with it? Well, reaching it would be a good start! I shot up straight to my feet and got to work. More excited than afraid. This meant nothing to me, though. Land only meant I would be able to remember what being dry was like. And perhaps vary my diet a little. But I would not want to have another set of creatures using me for their entertainment. Especially big, land creatures.

            Nevertheless, it was still land and I was still happy to head towards it.

IV

            As I docked my boat, or rather pulled it onto the sand with all the might I had left, I surveyed my surroundings.

            It looked like a small island. The beach where I was at was nothing special, there were a couple of small mountains and it was all covered with green. It was nice to see grass again and feel it beneath my feet. Before venturing into the wilderness (not that there was a jungle, though), I took my fish, hoping I would find something to open it with other than my bare hands.

            I walked further into the island and I saw it. A house etched into the wall of the mount.

            I stood there in awe, not able to believe what I was seeing. I felt a knot in my throat which made it harder to swallow, tears in my eyes and my heart racing as it had been when I was assaulted by the whales. Except this time I could run. And I did.

            It was a small house, with a staircase that led to its door. The walls (yes, walls, made of concrete) were painted an earthy red, like clay; it had 3 windows, blocked by heavy curtains. And a button on the side of the door which I assumed to be the doorbell. Naturally, I rang it.

            It was answered almost instantly. As if I had been expected, which was unimaginable at the moment. As the door swung open, it revealed a young man, probably in his mid-thirties, messy, short black hair; delicate features; I would dare to say of Asian descent. He was wearing a short sleeved shirt and khaki shorts. I looked into his eyes, with tears in mine and hands outstretched.

            “Help me”, I muttered.

            And then, I collapsed.
  

V

            The man half carried me, half led me into his house and sat me on his couch. He didn’t ask any questions, which I took for courtesy at the time, given how upset I was and how much of a disaster I must have looked like.

             His house was small; the living room was just a couch and a small coffee table, covered with everyday stuff like a box of tissue, a bottle of Pepto Bismol, some chocolate and some pens. There were books on the floor and some others stacked up against the wall.

            “Is there someone you want me to call?”, the man asked politely.

            Out of force of habit, I reached for my non-existent phone in the pocket of my jeans. Thanks to the cellphone age, I did not know even one number from memory. I had never felt so lost before. I had finally found another human being; more than that, he was willing to help me. I requested help. I just didn’t know what that would be.

            “I- I don’t know what number to call”, I stuttered. I was still inches from losing my mind.

            I started crying, overcome with impotence and despair. My sobs became violent and my hands couldn’t seem to contain the tears pouring out of me. I was shivering and hurting all over. My vision was blurred and my hearing impaired. It was like being in the ocean all over again, unable to reach the surface.

            “I- I will—ca—call--- 911”, I managed through sobs. Then I turned to him, “they- do you think they will be able to help me ?”

            The man looked at me, puzzled and, somehow, serene. But saying nothing.

            I rummaged through my brain looking for an answer. A way to help myself so this other person could help me. I used to be smart. I used to be brilliant. I made it through very rough times; I braved poverty and loneliness, I survived being stranded in the middle of the sea and attacked by monstruous creatures.

            And yet, there I sat. Still helpless. Still vulnerable.

            Finally, I remembered the existence of the internet. No matter where you were, you were connected to the world.

            I asked if he had a computer I could borrow. He promptly went into his bedroom and came back with a black laptop. An unusually familiar laptop.

            He set it before me and sat back down, seemingly patient and just observing me. His face, expressionless.

            I turned my attention back to the computer, opened it and immediately looked at the date: January 4th.
            “January 4th”, I whispered. As if hearing the date out loud would make it suddenly transform into an answer, a key to my situation. It didn’t.

           How long had I been drifting in the ocean? I had always thought it was March. March 8th, to be more precise. Did this mean it had been a year? Or did I get the month wrong? It couldn’t have been a year, I could barely remember last week! I opened the calendar to see what year we were in. But it didn’t help. I could not remember what year that ‘March 8th’ of my memory was.

            I brought my eyes up to look at the man again. He was just sitting there. Motionless. Staring at me. Showing no emotion at all. In any other circumstances, I would have found it suspicious. Presently, I had other matters to see to. More urgent, I thought.

            I opened the web browser and went to a website to find my location. When the map came up, it made no sense. It was showing a route but the countries had no names. I recognized the shapes but could not name them to save my life. I was always terrible at geography, I thought, but to not be able to name the countries? What is happening to me? Is it the shock still?

            I followed the route which went from a country south of South America, making a few twists in the ocean, all the way up to the United States. But, where am I?, I wondered, getting more anxious by the minute. Where is this place?

            As I frantically searched the screen and my brain for answers, I did not notice that the man was no longer sitting across from me. It was as if all my eyes could see was the screen before me.

            E-mail! Of course!, a voice inside me yelled, I remember that and I’m sure I can contact my family or my friends or… My lover.

            I opened a new window and my fingers couldn’t seem to type the address fast enough. I rushed so much I entered the wrong password a couple of times before I realized I had also typed my own email address wrong.

            After it had all been corrected, it logged into my account. I expected to find dozens of unread messages, perhaps even some asking me where I was. But there were only 5 unread messages, mostly spam. If I had taken a second to look, if I had been just a tiny bit more calm, I might have realized that the last email was received on March 8th. I didn’t.

            I clicked on the button to compose a new email and was instantly brought to that familiar screen. My memory was still foggy and my hands were trembling, but I remembered the name of the one I still missed the most. And I knew I didn’t even need it, just typing the first letter would be enough for the email to complete the address and the name.

            I typed ‘S’ and both the address and the name popped up instantly. I was so grateful to see it. I could only hope that, somehow, I would be saved. That this nightmare would be brought to an end. In fact, just this image before me brought the illusion of connection, of knowing that I was not crazy and there was a life that had escaped me somehow – but I could get back to.

            I started the message, typing as if in panic. The rest of the world momentarily, unfortunately, blocked from my vision as I concentrated on the words and the hope they brought.

            Memories came rushing back. Before this, I was in a place covered by snow, in an apartment with a cat. I sat by my lover’s side as we both read on our e-book devices and dreamt of our upcoming move to my home country. I had forgotten my mother’s birthday and we had vowed to take her out to dinner when we arrived, and I had even suggested taking her to the theater to see a play I knew they would both love. I remembered cooking a delicious and rather unhealthy meal that satisfied me and left me lying lazily on the couch, watching a tv drama. I was overcome by the memories of the future I hoped for, the past that had created me and the present I was learning to live.

            I finished the message. All that it needed was for me to copy the link to my location so the connection to my old life was complete.

            The message read:

            My love, I am sorry for my absence. I do not know how long it has been or what happened. I am lost. I was stranded on a boat. I spent days, maybe months, trying to survive. If it has been that long, I wonder if you may think I am dead. You might have moved on. There will be time to talk and mend what can be mended. At the moment, I only hope you can remember who I am. Because I don’t. But I remember you and I need your help.

            Here is a link to my location according to the online maps:

            I don’t know where this is. Please contact the authorities and give them my information and a picture of me so they can find me. So they can bring me back to my life. So they can rescue me from this nightmare.

            I love you and long to see you again. Please, rescue me.

            All that was left was for me to sign it. That and the link to the maps of where I was. It should have taken a minute. Maybe even less. The message would have travelled through cyber space and reached whichever side of the world it had to. And I would have been rescued.

            I would have gone back to the snowy place. Travelled back to my home country. Taken my mother out to dinner and made up for forgetting her birthday. I would have been with my lover and lived much more pleasant adventures.

            It would have taken a minute. Maybe even less.


-----------------------------------------------------------
Read the prologue here: http://awolfamongbears.blogspot.com/2013/03/stranded-short-story.html
Read part 1 here: http://awolfamongbears.blogspot.com/2013/03/stranded-part-1.html
Read part 2 here: http://awolfamongbears.blogspot.com/2013/03/stranded-part-2.html

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Please write what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
      That's kind of the ending, though. It's open to interpretation. There are many hints as to what I think happens in the end, but it is not really a one-ending story. :)

      Delete