Tuesday 26 March 2013

Sticky Bear Weekend in Vermont

As we get closer to the date when my partner and I move back to Mexico, we were looking for events or activities to participate in before leaving, some more memories to make. One of our dear friends told us about this weekend in Vermont organized by Decadent Ducks; despite never having heard of it before, I was excited about it since I had never gone to any bear-related event (except for the Bearmex ones in Mexico City).

The first thing we loved about it was how affordable it was. We paid $350usd for BOTH of us! And that included everything - a room for two nights, meals, transportation for the tour and a wonderful little bag of goodies.

After the drive from Connecticut, admiring how beautiful Vermont is (it's like every single picture you take, no matter in which direction, is a perfect postcard), we arrived on Friday at the Harwood Hill Motel and were delighted by how cosy it is! We unloaded our bags and chilled out for a bit before heading out to the welcome drinks and dinner at our host's house.

The 7 minute drive turned to 15 because we rely on our GPS way too much, perhaps we should have asked for directions instead! Nevertheless, we made it just in time to meet up with everybody. 

We were mostly couples and added up to 17 people including the organizers. Their house is not only beautiful, but perfectly arranged for everyone to stand around and chat or choose one of the sitting areas and drink one of the however-many different liquors were offered. I was surprised at the variety of it! I tasted maple syrup liquor, maple syrup Vodka and went back to my usual Jack and Coke (didn't make it to the Whipped cream liquor... Maybe next time). The food that came after was just as varied and delicious. A perfect setting to get to know who we would be spending the following day with. 

The next morning a bus picked us up at the motel. And, as if having a bus with 17 gay bears wasn't already enough trouble, they passed a round of bloody mary's, just to get started. 

We started our sugar rush themed day at an All You Can Eat Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser, where I had my first taste of actual Vermont maple syrup. It was also my first time inside a US elementary school auditorium... For the first few minutes, scenes from many movies flashed before my eyes, I kept hoping there would be a spontaneous musical number or something.

Next, we drove to the first of three sugar shacks we would visit. One of our friends pointed out how well that worked out, too. As it happened, at the first one, this cute daddy bear explained the process of how maple syrup is processed at the shack and shared stories of how he is the third generation working there. The second one, later that day, explained how the sap was obtained, including temperatures it needs and how it affects the kind of syrup you end up getting. 




The last one, which was the only one actually boiling, was a different and unique experience; instead of being dropped off at the shack itself, we walked through the snow covered farm, surrounded by this beautiful scenery, and followed the deliciously sweet smell of maple syrup goodness being made. In this last shack, we were able to see everything we had heard of until then and  admire the process we now understood. 




A location which gave us a break from the sweetness (not that we were complaining!) was the Cheese House. A little shop in the shape of a cheese wheel with a wedge cut (which becomes the entrance)... One of the greatest finds (for me, at least) was this "onesie" with the bear bum thing on the back. I would have loved to take it with me, but there is no way I would have any use for it in Mexico...

Since we were ahead of schedule, we stopped at the Bennington Battle Monument, where I saw my first snowman ever. This was a great chance to take a couple of group photos (which I hope to get soon since they were taken with someone else's camera). 














Going back to the tour, we picked up our pre-ordered sandwiches and made for the Why Not Wine winery. This was one of my favorite locations, the owners of the place were friendly, funny and just plain awesome. We got to sample a bunch of wines while eating our yummy sandwiches. Needless to say, more than one of us left carrying more than a couple bottles!






The last two stops were a perfect way to wrap up the tour. The Vermon Moonlight Cookies Bakery shop where I fell in love with their Lemon-Ginger shortbread cookies... They had samples of each kind of cookie when we arrived and had little else by the time we left. The Chocolate Barn, on the other hand, had no samples... But none were needed, just going into this place makes you have a slight chocolate high! So, between creeme brulee truffles, salty caramel chocolate and maple-walnut ice-cream... Well, I was in sweet, sweet heaven.


As I mentioned before, it was a constant sugar rush, made only better by the great company - we were never short of laughter, stories and silliness (and thank God for the heated bus!).

As the day came to an end, we were dropped off at the motel for a much needed nap (and I immediately brushed my teeth out of guilt). 

In the evening, we headed back to our gracious hosts' place for drinks and dinner... I shamelessly wolfed down the Mac and Cheese - being Mexican this is exotic for me! - and sat around the living room to spend some more time drinking and making merry.

I think this was the perfect way to bring my stay in the U.S. to a close, made new friends, took awesome pictures and spend a weekend relaxing and eating sugary goodies. The bag given to us included a bear full of maple syrup and other things amongst which were maple and blueberry flavored chapstick... ... ... And the infamous bacon flavored chapstick (which I refuse to open but will cherish as a rare American treasure).

A different kind of bear event. A relaxing weekend completely planned for you, where you just follow and enjoy yourself. Definitely a must if you're in need of a break from the everyday madness.


...Although I was constantly wondering when I would get my very own Sticky Bear.. And then someone said "well, you got a bottle of maple syrup so you can make your own!". Challenge accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment