Friday 3 December 2010

What do bears do when they come-- rather, when they get together?

The Holidays are practically upon us! Christmas and New Year's are close by and it is time to buy decorations, gifts, food and organise get-togethers! ... ... ... Right?
Up until not too long ago, I had not been a very sociable person at all - I tended to stick to small groups of friends and usually had issues interacting with more than 4 people at a time (if they were strangers). When I met my current husbear, I remember he said "when I move to Mexico, we will have friends over all the time!". This terrified me and made me very uncomfortable at the same time; I was pretty sure that, besides our community not being THAT kind of friendly, I was neither ready for - or even capable of - such a task!
As I have mentioned before, in the USA I experienced going into a bar and talking to (or rather being approached by) people I did not know for no apparent reason - completely unheard of in this country unless it is for sex. This helped me understand why my husbear had these strange ideas in his head!
Nevertheless, I was open to the experience and willing to give it my best shot. Thus we started inviting people over to our apartment and hanging out with others trying to expand our social network; along the way we made some really good friends and discarded others who were just annoying. But one way or another we ended up with a very nice circle of friends (and varied too)!
Now I don't really know much about organising gatherings or how to get people to get along with each other so we sort of have been mixing the groups haphazardly, with very interesting results - most of them knew each other somehow or had friends in common. We have had karaoke parties that go on for hours, board-game sessions, intense discussions and, of course, gossip, hahahahaha.
This whole thing had me wondering, what do bears do when they get together? And, what other activities can we think of to make these times more fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment