Sunday 23 January 2011

Polyamory - and some thoughts on the evolution of relationships.

First of all, I do not mean evolution as in 'getting better'; this term refers to things changing over time - I don't really care for the concepts of 'good' and 'bad'. I should also clarify that the difference between polyamory and cheating is that, in the former, all the participants are informed and agree to the interaction; while in the latter, this does not happen and it is more a matter of one person having two lovers.

So, now that that has been settled. This semester I will carry out an investigation on the topic of polyamorous relationships and the interaction between its members...

When I brought the subject up in class the teacher said she thinks that for someone to be able to be part of this kind of relationships, they should have no jealous feelings whatsoever - I believe it is the other way around. In my point of view, being in an 'open' relationship requires commitment from both parts and, yes, trust - you still have a contract in which the couple agrees to a concept of 'fidelity' which they should both mind.

While this can be a very controversial issue on many levels, I believe it is no more than the natural course of events in human development... What do I mean? Well, some time ago, during a round table with experts on sexuality in which the students were allowed to participate, I asked them what they thought about this matter; one of them gave me a most interesting answer. He said that the idea we have of 'marriage for love' is indeed pretty new, around a hundred years old; it is a concept that has been on trial and has given both benefitial and, at times, troublesome results - nevertheless, it has been part of our daily lives. In fact, the problem lies in the idea most of us have been taught about 'marriage' being the oldest thing in the world; while it is true that it has been around for the longest time, the reasons for it have been changing depending on the historical context in which it was set - for example, marriage was used mostly to keep control of the land and who was to inherit it (if they had not had a contract of sexual exclusivity with their wives, they would have had no way to know if it was really their son being manufactured in her uterus...).

I believe everything is fair as long as all the people involved, be it 2 or 20, are informed and participate willingly; I think it is way more honest than some people who swear they will be 'faithful' (in the traditional sense) not because they believe in the concept but to appease those around him and to fit in a society which is changing anyway.

What is your opinion in this topic? Do you think it is just a way for people to get out of committing to one person or is it a new way to experiment relationships which will eventually lead to other options?

By the way, I am looking for polyamorous couples to interview for my research, if you are interested in participating (the information is completely anonymous) let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment