Sunday 30 January 2011

Bearing the boredom - bars aren't what they used to be!

See this picture? With the three bears standing there looking lost, with nowhere to go? Well, that was us yesterday. Since my birthday is coming up, my bear, one of my best friends and I decided to go out somewhere fun... Oddly enough, we ended up standing on a sidewalk being approached by strange prostitutes, pimps, indescribable creatures of the night (not the kind you'd like to be touch-a-touch-a-touch-a-touched by!) for like 30 minutes before we decided to give up.
First of all, I must admit it was partly my fault since I wanted to stay somewhere close enough to walk back home; lately I have been kind of paranoid about taking a taxi home too late at night. Plus, we live like 10 minutes away from the 'gay' neighbourhood which is supposed to be full of... well... gayness!
Anyway, we decided we did not want to go to the bear bar because we are kind of fed up with it - (in our opinion) the DJ is terrible and it is just a bunch of hairless bears posing to see who's the biggest diva (no pun intended) - and started walking by the other gay clubs in the area. Now it might just be me getting older, but I swear those twinks are just waaaaay too young! Most of them drunk, smoking (not sure what) and with looks that I just couldn't understand - one had blue and pink cotton candy coloured hair, and it did NOT look good on him! We, then, proceeded to check the more 'classy' bars, but they were almost completely empty. So, long story short, we ended up going to the bear bar...
As expected, the music was only so-so most of the time. My friend was approached by a rather hot bear, but the latter disappeared shortly after (not sure why). Before being bored to death, we decided to go somewhere else... And we started walking around... ... ... ... ... ... Until we ended up just as described above.
I think it's pretty odd that we couldn't find a place to have fun the whole night... But, as we were coming home, I was thinking that the 'fun' places I used to go 3 or 4 years ago are closed today and I don't really know many of the new ones - to which I must add that the crowds I have seen in most of them are less than encouraging.
I mean, it's fine since we mostly have get-togethers at home but I wonder if there really isn't a fun place to go around here that doesn't require us to be drunk out of our senses to enjoy!
What kind of places do you like to go to?

1 comment:

  1. I love that your picture of the gummy bears are pretty much the same colors as the Mexican flag. Ha ha And I loved the Rocky Horror picture show reference.

    Bars can be quite dumb, especially ones where you can dance. I gladly take a party at a friends house over going to a bar full of super drunk idiots that spill drinks all over me and the floor.

    I think at some point in your life while growing up, you get tired of going some place that doesn't suit your needs as a person. Bars are a great place to socialize with people, but at some point that is not the atmosphere you need. Besides, how many times do you have to tell someone to watch your drink and to make sure no one puts roofies in it at a party with close friends?

    ReplyDelete