Monday 13 February 2012

False connection

Everyday, when I wake up, the first thing I do is turn my computer on and log onto Facebook... I check what my 'friends' have posted and I share my own thoughts. People comment on my status and I on theirs... During the day I do this more than a few times and, always, before going to bed...
Recently I went through a rough time and my best friends came to support me... Oddly, on Facebook, very few people minded. I can't blame them. It's not like it would've made much of a difference to get a "like" or a "wall post".
This had me thinking, I never seem to have time to call my friends or even text them; my main excuse, of course, being that we 'stay in touch through Facebook'... But how true is that?
This is, of course, not the discovery of the century, much less an epiphany that will change everyone's life; however, it did prompt me to start a little experiment.
I decided to stay out of Facebook for as long as I can. Be that a day, a week or a month.
The objective? See how this affects my social relationships - whether they become closer or further.
So far, I've been off Facebook for 48 hours. And, interestingly enough, I think this has had a rather positive effect on me. Beyond feeling lonely, I actually think I'm more comfortable with the way I carry myself socially. It's become clearer who I actually want to call and know will answer. Rather than just having a 'friend in common', I find myself turning to people I actually have interests and objectives in common with. Who knows? Perhaps after this little experiment, I might find that Facebook makes me more prone to a kind of social anxiety?

No comments:

Post a Comment